I came across this fantastic recipe while studying for an Advanced Diploma in Sports nutrition and thought I would share it. If you are looking for healtheir burger options then look no more as this recipe uses minced turkey as a base which you should be able to easily find in your local supermarket. If you don’t find minced turkey then your other option is to buy fresh turkey breasts and then use a food processor. If you have seen my post on batch cooking then you will realize how important this piece of equipment is to anyone who is serious about eating healthy. It is not absolutely necessary to get a food processor but it does really make it a lot easier to work with meats, fruits and vegetables and could actually save you money because the ready chopped products are more expensive. If you are looking to have the burger with bread then it goes really well with these buns
So on with the recipe….
- 400g turkey mince
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 45g pesto
- One egg
- Sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, place the turkey.
- Combine sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper, and shallot in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add to turkey mixture.
- Add egg and pesto to turkey and mix all ingredients well with your hands to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Form into approx. 7 patties and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Preheat grill to medium. You can also broil them in your oven
- Grill burgers for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Freeze any extra burgers for future use